Let me ask you a simple question. What’s the shape of the earth?
You might say, “Round.” To sound little more accurate, some of you might say, “Earth is like a solid sphere.” Those who are mathematically inclined would probably point out that the earth is a spheroid that bulges at the equator and is somewhat squashed at the poles.
What if I told you that there’s a large group of people who (still) believe that the earth is a flat circular disc with a large dome covering it from all sides and the sun and the moon are man-made lights hung on a huge pole standing at the center of the circular disc?
Yes, in the 21st century there exists a real flat earth society. And these people aren’t crazy. They’re a thriving community and perhaps growing. Google it.
Of course, the flat earth model doesn’t explain everything but it’s interesting to observe a flat-earther’s response when you ask him to explain why certain observations don’t fit his theory. Instead of re-evaluating the validity of his beliefs, he’d take the refuge of a conspiracy theory. And like all conspiracy theories, everything can be reasoned by flat-earthers using circular logic.
- Spotlight: Big ideas from Value Investing and why applying them in your investment decision making will be a great deal
- InvestorInsights: Interviews with experienced value investors, learners, and deep thinkers
- StockTalk: Thorough analysis of business models of companies (without any recommendations)
- Behaviouronomics: Deep analysis of human behaviour and how it impacts investment decision making
- BookWorm: Reviews of the best books on Value Investing and related subjects
- Free Course – Financial Statement Analysis for Smart People (otherwise priced at Rs 5,900)
- Archives: Instant access to our huge archive from the past three years