Raunak Onkar began his career in the stock market, nine years ago, as an intern at PPFAS Ltd with their institutional sell-side business and later joined the Research Team as an Equity Analyst. Eventually, as PPFAS became a pure investment management firm, he moved on to the buy side. He grew under the guidance and inspiration of his mentor, the late Mr. Parag Parikh, and the CIO of PPFAS Mutual Fund, Mr. Rajeev Thakkar. Raunak is currently the Head of the Research team at PPFAS Mutual Fund.
Safal Niveshak (SN): Tell us a little about your background, how you got interested in investing and writing, and how you have evolved in these fields over the years?
Raunak Onkar (RO): I come from a small suburb in Mumbai and spent a good chunk of my childhood reading books, both fiction and non-fiction. I guess writing emerged as a natural extension from there. I’ve been writing mostly for myself since I was in school.
Later I got interested in computers and technology, and wished to formally train myself in that area. I completed the BSc IT course from the University of Mumbai. Midway, during the journey, I also started to enjoy reading about businesses, entrepreneurs and economics in general. Investing was never the primary focus.
- Spotlight: Big ideas from Value Investing and why applying them in your investment decision making will be a great deal
- InvestorInsights: Interviews with experienced value investors, learners, and deep thinkers
- StockTalk: Thorough analysis of business models of companies (without any recommendations)
- Behaviouronomics: Deep analysis of human behaviour and how it impacts investment decision making
- BookWorm: Reviews of the best books on Value Investing and related subjects
- Free Course – Financial Statement Analysis for Smart People (otherwise priced at Rs 5,900)
- Archives: Instant access to our huge archive from the past three years